Normal printers print content onto a sheet of paper, which is a 2-Dimensional object. As the name suggets, 3D printing involves printing a three dimensional object, i.e. an object that has height, width and depth. The process of printing a 3D object is same as that for printing a 2D object:
- The user gives print command to the software being used by him.
- The software sends print data to the printer.
- The printer prints the document.
Whereas a 2D printer prints across the length and breadth of the page, a 3D printer adds material to the object being printed layer-upon-layer and thus creates a 3D object. Since the material is being added layer-upon-layer, it is also called “additive manufacturing”. The user just needs to provide a three-dimensional model of the said object to the printing software and the real-size object is printed by the 3D printer. “Fused Deposition Modeling” (FDM) is the most common technique used for 3D printing where a thermoplastic material’s filament is used to add layer upon layer through an orifice or nozzle.
Its benefits are:
- Almost anything 3-dimensional can be printed.
- It can be used to create low cost prototypes.
- It can be done with various kinds of materials as per needs.
- It allows rapid prototyping.
Its drawbacks are:
- The material used for 3D printing is usually of low strength.
- The finishing of the printed 3D product may not be of desired quality.
- A specific 3D printer may not be able to create complex 3D designs.
- The filament of FDM printer may release harmful particles and compounds when 3D printing a model.
- It may lead to Intellectual Property disputes as anyone can 3D print any 3D model.
Its uses include:
- It can be used to make spare parts in automotive and manufacturing sector.
- It can be used in medical sciences to make various implants and prosthetics.
- It can be used by aerospace industry to make prototypes and test their technologies.
- Sculptures can be printed for usage in art industry.
For Wikipedia entry on 3D Printing, click here.
For more posts on Advanced Topics, click here.
For more posts in The Cyber Cops project, click here.
Hi there I am so grateful I found your webpage, I really found you by accident,
while I was browsing on Google for something else,
Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and
a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have book-marked
it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please
do keep up the great work.
Thanks very nice blog!
Thanks for finally writing about
Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a information! present here at
this web site, thanks admin of this web site.
For newest news you have to pay a quick visit internet and on internet I found this web page as a finest web page for latest updates.
Someone essentially lend a hand to make seriously posts I would state.
That is the very first time I frequented your website page and
so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular submit amazing.