The CISF came into existence in 1969 with a modest beginning, having three battalions, to provide integrated security cover to the Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) which, in those years, occupied the “commanding heights” of the economy. In a span of four decades, the Force has grown several folds to reach 1,41,735 personnel today. With globalization and liberalization of the economy, CISF is no longer a PSU-centric organization. Instead, it has become a premier multi-skilled security agency of the country, mandated to provide security to major critical infrastructure installations of the country in diverse areas. CISF is currently providing security cover to nuclear installations, space establishments, airports, seaports, power plants, sensitive Government buildings and ever heritage monuments. Among the important responsibilities recently entrusted to the CISF are the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation, VIP Security, Disaster Management and establishment of a Formed Police Unit (FPU) of the UN at Haiti.
It is a testimony to the level of professional competence and standing acquired by the Force over the decades that its services are being sought for consultancy by the private sector also. Over the years, the CISF has provided Consultancy Services to more than 138 different organizations, including those in the private sector. After the Mumbai terrorist attack on November 2008, the mandate of the force has been broadened to provide direct security cover to private sector also.
- It has 12 reserve battalions, 08 training institutes and 63 other formations.
- According to the mandate, CISF provides security to the premises staff along with the security of property and establishments.
- CISF is providing security to the strategic establishment, including the Department of Space, the Department of Atomic Energy, the Airports, the Delhi Metro, the ports, the historical monuments and the basic areas of Indian economy such as petroleum and natural gas, electricity, coal, steel and mining.
- CISF is providing protection to some private sector units and important government buildings in Delhi.
- Presently, CISF is also providing security to the protected persons classified as Z Plus, Z, X, Y.
- CISF is the only force with a customized and dedicated fire wing.
- CISF is a compensatory cost force.
- During elections to the Parliament & State Legislative Assemblies, they perform duty for conduction of free and fair elections as per the directions of Election Commission of India (ECI).
For Wikipedia entry on CISF, click here.
For more articles in Policepedia, click here.