Some of the tips to maintain your internet privacy tips are:
- Avoid creating usernames and passwords containing your date of birth or other identifiable information.
- Use a secure email service.
- Try using different passwords for different websites.
- Do not share too much information on social networks.
- Try using open source software whenever possible as compared to closed source software.
- Keep a strong password.
- Do not post too much information on social media websites.
- Use antivirus software and a firewall.
- On social media websites, change post settings to “friends only” where only your friends can see your content.
- Do not click on strange links. Do not reply to unwanted mailers emails.
- On social media websites, do not make friends with strangers.
- Do not use public wifi.
- Avoid search engines like Google that track your queries.
- Turn off geo-tagging on your devices.
- Always log out of your accounts on public computers.
- If there is an option during signing up or in settings, opt out of sharing personal information.
- Keep a password or a pin on your phone or computer.
- Read app reviews and permission the app needs before you download any app.
- The internet has a great memory. Do not post anything online that you might regret posting later on.
For Wikipedia entry on Internet Privacy, click here.
For more posts on Privacy, click here.
For more posts in The Cyber Cops project, click here.